Friday, November 21, 2008

William Miller's WWI Diary-Part 2

In Part 1, William began his Army service at Camp Lee, Virginia. We learned that bringing large numbers of people together ninety years ago resulted in repeated outbreaks of infectious diseases (measles, mumps and meningitis). And we saw that the rail (train and trolley) network was extensive enough then to travel from Southeastern Virginia to an obscure place in McKean County, Pennsylvania.

And those of us who heard the family stories, learned that they weren’t entirely true. We heard that Grandpa Miller didn’t know how to drive but was just given an Army ammunition truck and told to drive it. Well, he may not have known how to drive before going into the Army. And he certainly drove ammunition trucks. But as we saw in his diary, he did get training in camp before hauling ammunition around France.

In Part 2, William finally contracts one of those diseases and then prepares to go to France.

William Miller Diary, March 25-May 25, 1918.

Mar. 25 I came to B.H. [Base Hospital] with mumps, thence to Field Hos.

Mar. 26 At Field Hospital quarentined Nice but a little cool.

Mar. 27 Same as 26th. Pierce and Hamilton brought up My suitcase and mail.

Mar. 28 Same as 26th.

Mar. 29 Good-Friday Nice day.

Mar. 30 Same as 26th.

Mar. 31 Easter Sunday. Nice day, but am still quarentined in. Pierce and Allia (?) brought up My mail.

Apr. 1 Nice day, but rained a little in P.M.

Apr. 2 Nice day rained some Field Hosp. moved all into one barricks

Apr. 3 Rainy was on detail haling cots.

Apr. 4 Rained some was on detail hauling and moving cots bedding etc.

Apr. 5 Nice day but quite cool Received Pay. Corp. Strong brought it up to me.

Apr. 6 Nice day. worked on detail almost all day. Pierce brought my mail up.

Apr. 7 Sunday. Nice day. I evad quar. To get to 8 O’clock Mass in K. of C. [Knights of Columbus] No. 2. also went over and seen Pat Flaherty and John Rampo who came down on draft Thur. Apr. 4 or Friday 5.

Apr. 8 Nice in A.M. Rained in P.M. and almost all night. Pierce brought up mail.

Apr. 9 Rained hard all day. I was on kitchen police.

Apr. 10 Rainy I was on kitchen police.

Apr. 11 Rainy in A.M. Snowed hard almost all P.M., about 2 in deep. I was on kitchen police

Apr. 12 Rained

Apr. 13 Rained some in A.M. I left Convelesent Hospital in P.M.

Apr. 14 Sunday I was in charge of rears Nice day

Apr. 15 All worked hauling logs for Remount station with trucks. I went on guard

Apr. 16 Rainy I was on guard untill 4-50 P.M.

Apr. 17 On detail most of day. washed trucks after supper. was quite hot.

Apr. 18 Rained hard in P.M. big parade in Petersburg for Third Liberty loan. I was on kitchen police

Apr. 19 All worked around auto sheds and washed trucks

Apr. 20 Nice day. I was on detail in A.M. All went to Rifle range in P.M. I came back and went on guard at 4-40 O clock P.M.

Apr. 21 Rained all day I was on guard untill 1 P.M. went to Confession.

Apr. 22 Sunday. Went to Communion at 8 O clock Mass. Rained all day.

Apr. 23 Nice day. I was on room orderly

Apr. 24

Apr. 25 Nice day. I was on kitchen police (scratched through)

Apr. 26

Apr. 27 Rained most all day All went Rifle range in P.M.

Apr. 28 Nice day I was on kitchen police

Apr. 29 Sunday. Nice day Was to 8 and 10 O’clock Mass.

Apr. 30 Muster day All went to field pitched tents and had dinner in field. I went to dentist in P.M. had one tooth filled Rained hard in P.M.

May 1 Nice day. Drilled in A.M. Oiled floor worked around Garage etc in P.M.

May 2 Nice day Drilled in A.M. fatigue work in P.M.

May 3 Nice day same as 2nd. sent suit case home 32 men transferred out.

May 4 Nice day. I was in charge of rears. Had parade back of Off. quarters in honor of Lt. Col.Buchan, who was transferred.

May 5 Sunday. Nice day was to 8 O’Clock Mass and Benediction at night.

May 6 Nice day I was on room orderly.

May 7 Nice day but rained in P.M. I went on guard at 4-40 P.M.

May 8 Nice day, was on guard. 20 men and 4 trucks to Dutch Gap to haul amm. for the artillery

May 9 Nice day, Drilled in A.M. I was on kitchen police in one of new fellows place.

May 10 Nice day I was on kitchen police

May 11 Nice day. We had Regimental Inspection on drill grounds with tents, etc. worked at fatigue work in P.M.

May 12 Nice day Sunday I was to 8 O’clock Mass and Benediction at night

May 13

May 14

May 15

May 16

May 17

May 18 Nice day I was on kitchen police was to Confession.

May 19 Sunday. quarentined at 12__ A.M. I was to 8 O’clock Mass and Communion I went with 21 other fellows of Company on exterior guard duty on South end of trussle about 1 mi from Petersburg

May 20 Nice day, but pretty hot on exterior guard. Had feast(?) at Power plant.

May 21 Nice day, were recalled to Camp at about 11-30 O’clock

May 22 Nice day all worked packing up, etc. weighing and marking goods.

May 23 Same as 22nd stayed up all night stenciling goods and being issued equipment

May 24 Nice day worked all day getting ready to move had inspections in P.M. and rool call at 10 P.M.

May 25 All got up at 4-15 A.M. Breakfast at 4-30 then policed up barracks untill about 6-30 then lined up and marched to station left camp on train about 8 O Clock arrived at Norfolk 11-30 A.M. and went on board U.S.S. Siboney at abut 2 P.M

No comments: