Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day, 2008

Ninety years ago today, my grandfather William Andrew Miller was delivering ammunition near Villers devant Dun, France. His diary entry for November 12, 1918:
Busy every day and night hauling amm(unition). Hostilities ceased at 11 O’clock of Nov. 11. I hauled last two loads to 314 and 315th on 11th and 12th
He signed up to serve the country he was born in to fight against the country his parents were born in.

This, I am told, caused conflicts with his father. He never talked about his war experiences but again, I am told, that he suffered nightmares about being near the front and being gassed for the rest of his life.

Just this weekend, a transcription of his diary was provided to me. Thanks to my cousin Mike Miller for his efforts. This diary covers the time from his enlistment on October 2, 1917 until his arrival in Brest on May 18, 1919. The map below records his movements around France from September 17, 1918 until December 31, 1918. Enlarge the map and then click on the place markers to read his diary entries.


View Larger Map

No comments: