Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Paris

Here I am in Paris (well, at the airport) still awake and ready for the next leg. The bike and everything else arrived safe and sound. Bus tickets to town and some coffee and pastry have been successfully purchased all in French. Whew!

The trip was surprisingly routine with just a tiny bit of drama at check-in and one surprise. The drama didn't come from traveling with the bike; the agent was only concerned about weight and it is 10lbs under the limit. But, as I feared from online check-in, my seat assignment was messed up. I paid for an upgraded seat with more room but they didn't have one and had me in regular economy. Everyone agreed that they had sold me the seat but couldn't do anything about it. Unlike a few others, I was polite with the service people and just before boarding they found me a fine window seat in the proper section. I was going to be on the plane but the question was where so no real problem.

I never have understood people who abuse and insult the service people. Why tic off the person who you want to help you. Honey is always better than vinegar, I say.

The surprise? After boarding, a familiar face was heading down the aisle. Lisa W, a former co-worker was on her way with a friend to a wedding in the Loire Valley. We had a good chat and I pretended to be interested in what was going on at my old office. We'll both be in Paris next Monday evening and will try to get together for dinner then.

Later....

No comments: